Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

The racist cartoon of Betsy DeVos + Is anything the way it appears? | Fred Klonsky

The racist cartoon of Betsy DeVos. | Fred Klonsky:

The racist cartoon of Betsy DeVos.


The southern Illinois Belleville News Democrat editorial cartoonist Glenn McCoy drew a cartoon comparing Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos to Ruby Bridges.


 The original iconic painting of Ruby Bridges by Norman Rockwell.

 .
Ruby Nell Bridges was the first Black child to desegregate the all-white William Frantz Elementary School during the New Orleans school desegregation battles in 1960.
Judge J. Skelly Wright’s court order for the first day of integrated schools in New Orleans on November 14, 1960, was commemorated by Norman Rockwell in the painting, The Problem We All Live With (published in Look magazine on January 14, 1964). As Bridges describes it, “Driving up I could see the crowd, but living in New Orleans, I actually thought it was Mardi Gras. There was a large crowd of people outside of the school. They were throwing things and shouting, and that sort of goes on in New Orleans at Mardi Gras.” Former United States Deputy Marshal Charles Burks later recalled, “She showed a lot of courage. She never cried. She didn’t whimper. She just marched along like a little soldier, and we’re all very very proud of her.”
Betsy DeVos? Please.
A shameful racist cartoon in the News Democrat. The racist cartoon of Betsy DeVos. | Fred Klonsky:

0-fckoxeijul8cr_hc

The protest of 100,000 you may not have heard about. People from 32 states turned out to protest four years of drastic state Republican initiatives in Raleigh, North Carolina, on Saturday.
Probably like you, I have been following the events surrounding the firing of Michael Flynn and Russia-Gate.
It involves so many lies, along with those that the press calls the intelligence community, Russian intelligence and multiple levels of power and interest that I keep telling myself that nothing can possibly be what it appears to be.
Less than a month ago so many of my friends were making plans to become expats that I feared Anne and I would live out our lives alone in Chicago but with plenty of invites to stay in spare bedrooms in Canada.
Now it appears that no president has had a worse opening month than Trump since William Henry Harrison died in office on the 31st day of his presidency.
I got a text from my cousin Jeff and his husband Robert yesterday. They are traveling across the country by train with a couple hours stopover in Chicago. “We are on Dearborn and looking for you in an anti-Trump protest.”
“There are two or three of those a day,” I wrote back. “At my age I have to pace myself.”