Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, January 12, 2017

My Child, Your Child, Everyone's Child (Five Years An Actual Father) | The Jose Vilson

My Child, Your Child, Everyone's Child (Five Years An Actual Father) | The Jose Vilson:

My Child, Your Child, Everyone’s Child (Five Years An Actual Father)

Image result for My Child, Your Child, Everyone’s Child (Five Years An Actual Father)

Five years ago, my son was on his way to us. We hailed him as a Three Kings’ Day (01/06) gift, the bookend to an otherwise brutal winter. We waited 41 weeks and counting to no avail as he refused to leave his mothers’ natural cocoon. The hospital staff ranged in their hospitality, but our main doctor came in like gold, frankincense, and myrrh. I remember not sleeping for 24 hours, restless over my new prince’s birth. When I finally cradled him in my arms, I remember thinking we might have made the world a better place and parented accordingly.
Both of Alejandro’s parents are educators with that mindset. Nine days later, I would return to the children our communities birthed.
My son’s birthday reminds me of the deep gulf between the lofty aspirations of our best days and the doldrum realities of our worst days in our classrooms. I’d say “truth be told,” but there’s so many contradictory truths I hold at once. I do believe in students’ capacity to learn, sometimes more than they believe in themselves. I get angry when students don’t try their best, though that might actually be their best. I don’t need my students to be compliant, but their understanding of respect My Child, Your Child, Everyone's Child (Five Years An Actual Father) | The Jose Vilson: