Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Thank you, Delaware! My visit underscored the great work we do - Lily's Blackboard

Thank you, Delaware! My visit underscored the great work we do - Lily's Blackboard:

Thank you, Delaware! My visit underscored the great work we do

leg-de-1


Delaware is sometimes called the “Small Wonder” state, but during my December 15 visit with members of the Delaware State Education Association from the Christina School District and their students, I got caught up in an enormous wave of enthusiasm, creativity and energy.
I’ve always said the best part of my job is visiting with NEA members across the nation who are inspiring and nurturing students. I saw them in action at Newark High SchoolGallaher Elementary School and Sarah Pyle Academy.
My visit to Delaware was the result of a contest at the 2016 Representative Assembly in July. The winner, John “Woody” Woodruff, a science teacher at Newark High, might have preferred cash or a Hawaiian vacation. Well, he got me!
We know that new educators face a lot of challenges in our profession and are often unaware of the lifeline of support and encouragement they can find in their local union. The contest at the RA was a challenge to state delegations to practice having one-on-one conversations with new members. Members of state delegations with 100-percent participation were entered in a raffle, and Woody won.  Or rather, won.
In Woody’s earth science class at Newark High, I worked with a student to complete a model of a Bohr atom. I talked with Helen Morehead, an education support professional who’s been aThank you, Delaware! My visit underscored the great work we do - Lily's Blackboard: