Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, September 26, 2016

Michigan Mom: Mandatory (a)Musings: M-Stepping those Results Right into the Trashcan

Mandatory (a)Musings: M-Stepping those Results Right into the Trashcan:

M-Stepping those Results Right into the Trashcan



I received my daughter's 4th grade M-Step results in the mail yesterday. 


I had not seen the results report before; two years ago, I opted her out. But last year, in a co-parenting compromise with my ex-husband, I allowed my daughter to take the test.

You will be happy to know that my daughter is 100% adequate. Or, to be specific, she is making "adequate progress." I was surprised at the naming of this progress indicator, since her scores are in the "Advanced" range in Math and English Language Arts, and at the very top edge of the "Proficient" range in Science. But, for a 4th grader approximately 1/3 of the way through her K-12 education, her progress is deemed as adequate. One must suppose then, that her teachers have also been adequate and her school is pretty adequate.

I question the use of this terminology; does "adequate" seem "proficient" or "advanced" to you? I realize that this word, according to google, means "satisfactory or acceptable."  But I challenge you to use this word in conversation and see how it is perceived. In fact, next time you are eating a dinner that your significant other prepared, I dare you to announce that it is "adequate." And next time you and your significant other are in the midst of...ahem...a romantic physical encounter, I 
Mandatory (a)Musings: M-Stepping those Results Right into the Trashcan: