Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Special Education teacher on leave after controversial letter about tests | WCBD News 2

Upstate teacher on leave after controversial letter about tests | WCBD News 2:
Upstate teacher on leave after controversial letter about tests
Special Education teacher requested students be exempt from federally mandated testing




An Upstate special education teacher says she was pulled from her classroom this week and put on leave after requesting in a letter that her students be exempt from federally mandated standardized testing.
“There’s a difference between testing and standardized testing,” Tracie Happel explained, Wednesday.
Happel says she’s learned this first hand in her 25 years in the classroom. She says testing holds students and teachers accountable, but standardized testing is purely a federal mandate.
In her first year teaching for White Oak Middle in Oconee County, she says the “SC PASS” and “SC READY” tests will force her special education students to meet unreachable standards, based on federal guidelines.
She wrote he concerns in a 3 page letter to the Oconee County School District the day before testing was set to start.
“I expressed my concerns about my students having to take a test where everything was a grade level, when I was working with the kids because they were not at grade level in their academics,” said Happel.
She asked they’d be exempt. She said the district told her it was impossible, but didn’t stop there.
“A few hours after I submitted my letter of objection, I was called to our district office and I was put on administrative leave,” said Happel.
She says the district told her she used derogatory names referencing her students.
“In my letter, I referred to my students and they relayed to me that they feel stupid, and like idiots and like retards,” explained Happel.
She says she works every day to inspire her kids, but they shouldn’t be subjected to fail. She believes it gets down to money with schools earning federal dollars for matching federal standards.
“Children are not exchangeable for money,” said Happel.
Wednesday, the district told 7 News that this was a personnel matter and they could not comment.
In the meantime, Happel just wants to encourage her students faced with taking the tests while she’s away.
“You guys, you can do this. I know you can do this. We talk about this every day how awesome you are. Just do what you’re supposed to do, listen to your mom and dad and I know you can do this,” said Happel, speaking to her students.
Our sister station, 7 News looked into state law. Currently, there is no mandate Upstate teacher on leave after controversial letter about tests | WCBD News 2: