Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, January 25, 2016

Taking Back Your Name – The Pros and Cons of Political Correctness | gadflyonthewallblog

Taking Back Your Name – The Pros and Cons of Political Correctness | gadflyonthewallblog:

Taking Back Your Name – The Pros and Cons of Political Correctness

introduction
“What I think the political correctness debate is really about is the power to be able to define. The definers want the power to name. And the defined are now taking that power away from them.”
Toni Morrison
“Never trust anyone who says they do not see color. This means to them, you are invisible.”
Nayhyirah Waheed

Call me Steve.
Not Steven. Not Stephen. Certainly not Steveareno.
It’s a preference. My preference. My choice. And if people want to be in my good graces, they’ll comply with my wishes.
There’s nothing strange or unreasonable about this. We do it all the time – usually when we’re being introduced to someone.
“Hi. I’m Steve.”
“Nice to meet you, Steve. I’m Elisha.”