Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Charter Schools: What's Happening, What's Next

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Charter Schools: What's Happening, What's Next:

Charter Schools: What's Happening, What's Next


I'll start with what I think is coming next.  A big fat fight in the legislature - one that will take time and energy away from the work of McCleary.  (Despite what Republicans think, a one-pager to the Supreme Court with some dates and thoughts on funding are unlikely to change minds on the court.)  The legislature starts its short two-month session on Monday, Jan. 11th.

I think there will be at least one charter school bill in the legislature (I'm hearing there may be two which would make it interesting.  I'm also betting one of them will have Rep. Eric Pettigrew's name on it.) 

Now, there are three major issues with the current law that would need to be fixed, two of them constitutional, and I think those two come with so much baggage, that a bill can't be created, vetted by both legislators and the public, amended and then passed.  It could happen but I think that's not likely.

I think the charter schools will be opening their doors after the holiday break but honestly, I can't really tell you what they are now.  I don't think the ALE 
Seattle Schools Community Forum: Charter Schools: What's Happening, What's Next: