Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, December 28, 2015

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Why I Won't Be Debating Charter Schools for the Next Couple of Months

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Why I Won't Be Debating Charter Schools for the Next Couple of Months:

Why I Won't Be Debating Charter Schools for the Next Couple of Months


Lately at the blog, my observation is that much of the discussion around charter schools is about whether they are useful, not useful, take resources from other public schools, etc.

I'm not going to be talking about those issues any longer. Why? Two reasons.

1) From some comments, I get the feeling there are some charter supporters (employees?) who are here to stir the pot and/or waste my time. Mind you, I do recognize several names of long-time readers who disagree with me on charter schools and that's fine.

However, my stand on charters is clear and unchanged. I have done my research, I have visited some charters and I feel my opinion has been created on a solid foundation. If you disagree, again fine, but you won't be changing my mind.

(To note, I separate charter school supporters/funders from charter school families. I don't believe the thinking or knowledge base or agenda is the same in both groups.)

2) Like the Supreme Court, I am not here to argue the merits of charter schools. 
The Court found the charter school law unconstitutional which is the same thing that many of us working during the No on 1240 campaign said. But we 
Seattle Schools Community Forum: Why I Won't Be Debating Charter Schools for the Next Couple of Months: