Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Reflections on Teaching » Blog Archive » Classroom Update #4 fo 2015

Reflections on Teaching » Blog Archive » Classroom Update #4 fo 2015:

Classroom Update #4 fo 2015

Stockwell graffiti Four
One of the ideas that the ELA curriculum wanted students to get in this first unit was, how author background affects their work. I did like the particular piece they chose for this, Langston Hughes’ Theme for English B. It was a work that I was not familiar with, but it works well with upper elementary (5th grade) since it is made up of statements delivered in a first person voice. The biggest problem I had was trying to get the kids to understand that it was not “auto-biographical” but “semi-autobiographical” since the author was NOT from Winston-Salem, but Missouri, etc. but having facts to point to is easier to discuss, than more abstract ideas. It’s a good way to introduce perspective in race. The line in the poem about being the only black person in the classroom seemed to resonate even among my non-black students. I found this nice video of the poem on YouTube that my students enjoyed.
At the same time I was using the Pam Allyn materials, we were readingBridge to Terabithia, and I found a great resource for author background Reflections on Teaching » Blog Archive » Classroom Update #4 fo 2015: