Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Who Created The Cages? [About That Teacher Life] | The Jose Vilson

Who Created The Cages? [About That Teacher Life] | The Jose Vilson:

Who Created The Cages? [About That Teacher Life]

broken_bird_cage_by_tinhan


A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to speak at William Paterson University in New Jersey to their college of education. Their education program definitely has the right leaders to move their future teachers forward. After I spoke at length about being a teacher, cultural competence, and teacher leadership, I was enlightened by so many students, future counselors, and faculty who wanted to push back against our current education reform agenda. They also had a keen eye on equity questions, and I was happy to elucidate wherever possible. I’m blessed to do such things because I don’t know any K-12 educators (if any) who have a similar speaking schedule while full-time teaching.
But don’t let the itineraries fool you: my first professional priority is teaching my students math.
There’s an exhaustive tally of items I have to worry about since the honeymoon period came to an end. A student or two have taken calculators home, perhaps never to be seen again. A student starts off with high expectations for himself and falls off into his own distress and lack of self-confidence. A few students get suspended for the incomprehensible, though I’m sure it made sense to them. A few students learn to love math, while one student spends time with me after class so I can make the case Who Created The Cages? [About That Teacher Life] | The Jose Vilson: