Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, October 22, 2015

New York College Prof to Student: Don’t Criticize Common Core | deutsch29

New York College Prof to Student: Don’t Criticize Common Core | deutsch29:

New York College Prof to Student: Don’t Criticize Common Core

put a cork in it


In September 2015, I received the following email from a New York student in a graduate-level teacher education program:
Dear Ms. Schneider,
I am an educator at a school in New York City who was shocked to find a letter from a Professor [name] in my mail box this week. As an educator, I am of the opinion that creativity should be a key focus of any curriculum.
I have enrolled in a master’s in ed. program at [name of school] and as an educator have expressed disagreement with Prof. [name] over the Common Core. [This professor] also has worked for Pearson….
As the letter from Prof. [name] directs, I should stop expressing my opinions of the CCLS (Common Core Learning Standards) in class. I feel this ironically stifles my right to freedom of speech and I am gravely concerned that [the professor’s] attitude will negatively affect my academic progress.  …
I am shocked by the letter, which was mailed to me in person….
I spoke with the individual sending the email. We had a frank conversation that included the reality that I do not know firsthand how the student has conducted him-/ herself in class. However, there are issues about this situation that are problematic regardless of the student’s behavior. First of all, the professor chose not to ask the student to make an appointment for a one-on-one meeting, instead choosing to “talk New York College Prof to Student: Don’t Criticize Common Core | deutsch29:
David Coleman Covers Bobby Vee