Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, October 30, 2015

Lead With Love [Spring Valley High Is Your School Too] | The Jose Vilson

Lead With Love [Spring Valley High Is Your School Too] | The Jose Vilson:

Lead With Love [Spring Valley High Is Your School Too]

Heart Blood




Today, I finally saw some of my cockamamie student groupings come to a screeching halt when some of my best students started clashing with each other over how to approach their scientific notation project. My 280 lbs frame usually settles disagreements if I’m in proximity, but this was not one of those days. As I listened to their grievances, I picked apart the major contents and helped them work out the minor details without me.
In my younger days, I might have had a conniption, shifted a few students to different groups, or rolled my eyes hard. Today, I decided to lead with love.
Visions of seeing black teenagers dragged and flung halfway across a room still lay uncomfortably under my eyelids, along with other visions of incidents I’ve seen as a student and teacher. I’m not completely desensitized to this violence, I’ve had to resensitize myself to remind of the awesome work I undertake. I do mean awesome in the truest sense of the word. At any given moment, the Lead With Love [Spring Valley High Is Your School Too] | The Jose Vilson: