Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Jersey Jazzman: Don't Believe the Data In "The Prize"

Jersey Jazzman: Don't Believe the Data In "The Prize":

Don't Believe the Data In "The Prize"






I have a new policy brief out this week at the NJ Education Forum about the (mis-)use of data in Dale Russakoff's The Prize. Let me add a few words here: The Prize, as I described in my initial review, is the story of how then-Mayor Cory Booker and Governor Chris Christie worked to cajole a $100 million donation from Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg to support the "reform" of the Newark school system, Understand, I actually liked much of The Prize. I think Russakoff does a good job of describing the struggles an urban pubic district school faces when educating students whose home lives are far from ideal. I think she tells the story of the behind-the-scenes machinations of the power players well, and I think it's important to tell that story. But... The Prize is turning out to be an influential book, and Russakoff is making many media appearances where she gets to present her ideas about urban school "reform." She was quoted in the NY Times by Joe Nocera, who used her figures to make the case that the Newark Public Schools (and, by extension, other urban districts) has a bloated bureaucracy compared to its neighboring charters. Connor Williams cites her figures at - See more at: http://jerseyjazzman.blogspot.com/2015/09/dont-believe-data-in-prize.html#sthash.EGInWgBb.dpuf