Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Dude, Really?: Education policy kudos and criticism (in the same week) | Cloaking Inequity

Dude, Really?: Education policy kudos and criticism (in the same week) | Cloaking Inequity:

Dude, Really?: Education policy kudos and criticism (in the same week)







At my core, the reason why I chose educational policy as a profession is because I care about children.
Today I’d like to take up some of the critics of the policy brief that I included in the post Flood of Lies: Education reform crescendo at #Katrina10 Then I would like to humbly share some very cool kudos that happened this week. Be warned, this post has a certain randomness to it, kind of like my favorite blog MGoBlog.
First let me start with some background. I have never lived in New Orleans, however, I did live in Houston— which is about a five hour drive from NOLA at the speed that I drive. So I have been to New Orleans about ten times in my life. Half of the trips to New Orleans were related to schools and communities.

Recently I spent almost a week in New Orleans meeting with stakeholders and others. I also attended a community-based education reform conference. I was interested in understanding the perspectives parents, students and activists about education reform in the city. They relayed that the focus on “improvement” didn’t match up with the reality of Black students and families. One parent put it this way, “Improvement for Whites, not Blacks.” Recent surveys have Dude, Really?: Education policy kudos and criticism (in the same week) | Cloaking Inequity: