Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, July 18, 2015

What I Learned at My First NEA RA Assembly!-July 2015 DIARY OF A PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER!:

DIARY OF A PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER!: What I Learned at My First NEA RA Assembly!-July 2015:

What I Learned at My First NEA RA Assembly!-July 2015





NEA stands for the National Education Association.

RA stands for Representative Assembly.

I attended my 1st NEA Representative Assembly as a delegate. What an amazing experience!

My observations:



  • One of the delegates spoke about using the words of the oppressor. How many times do we, as educators, use the words, "the union", as if it is not "our union?" WE are the union. WE are what makes up the union. When we address the union as " the union", we are giving others the message that we are not part of it, that it is a separate entity. What does Chris Christie say every time he opens his mouth about educators? "The union..."

  • If you don't like what your union is doing, you have the opportunity to make your voice heard. I sat in a convention hall with about 10,000 educators who were doing just that, raising their voices. We supported an item, or we didn't. Delegates, including one of my own state, wrote items that they felt were important to us all. Some were supported, and some weren't. Instead of standing in a hallway, or sitting in the Teacher's Lounge, denouncing the union, (I know, I've done it), ask how you can become a delegate.Move up from delegate and sit on your executive committee, or even the National committee.