Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, July 6, 2015

Senator Bernie Sanders and K-12 Education: We’re Listening!

Senator Bernie Sanders and K-12 Education: We’re Listening!:

Man with hand on ear listening for quiet sound or paying attention
Senator Bernie Sanders and K-12 Education: We’re Listening!



Bernie fever is sweeping the Internet. I like Sen. Sanders. He says a lot of things that make me want to jump up and shout YES! You Go Bernie! But I, like many others, am still listening for the specifics when it comes to education and public schools.
On the issue of K-12 education he leaves me a bit high and dry. Something is missing. I think as parents and educators, we need to not be swept off our feet by Bernie Sanders, but we need to hold his feet to the fire. I think this is important because I am hopeful he is one candidate that might listen.
We should require more answers from him about his education agenda.
You might say, “Well who else is out there who will do any better for education and public schools?” Good question.
Still, while I am no fan of Jeb Bush, I can honestly say I know where he stands on education. This will make it simple for me not to vote or support him. The others, including Sen. Sanders, leave out a lot of issues.
The Pros
These are the positive reasons I like Sen. Sanders. Please let me know if I missed something and I will add it to the list.
  • He recognizes many children in this country live in poverty. Poverty has always been an overriding issue in the struggle to have decent public schools. What more will Sen. Sanders advocate concerning poverty and public schools?
  • Hr emphasizes good Pre-K programs. I’d like to hear more about what he means here since this is always one of the goals of politicians. But it should be addressed.
  • He supports affordable public higher education for all students who are capable and wish to attend college. He seems to be fighting for the middle class here and transcends the usual “all students must go to college” hype. He focuses instead on the troubling reality many hard-working students face–especially student debt.
  • He likes small class sizes! This is written in his educational platform and is one of those issues that makes me jump off my couch and cheer!
  • He is against vouchers. He has Senator Bernie Sanders and K-12 Education: We’re Listening!: