Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Mike Klonsky's SmallTalk Blog: 'Another lost generation': My notes from yesterday's inauguration

Mike Klonsky's SmallTalk Blog: 'Another lost generation': My notes from yesterday's inauguration:

'Another lost generation': My notes from yesterday's inauguration

No words... 
First -- One look at the new members being sworn in tells me that the City Council won't be the same. Congrats to the expanded and energized Progressive Caucus and especially newest progressives like Carlos Ramirez-Rosa (35th), Milly Santiago (31st), Susan Sadlowski Garza (10th) and more.

Rahm's inauguration speech got rave reviews -- from Rahm. He couldn't wait to get on the phone and call gossip columnist Sneed to tell her how wonderful it was. Rahm tells Sneed, his speech was so great that his mother cried and his father praised him in Hebrew.

Comedian Richard Lewis stopped by lingerie company peach’s launch party at the Public Chicago Hotel Saturday . . . Oh wait. I'm reading the wrong Sneedling. Sorry. Here's the one on Rahm's call.
He told me he had a speech on education and finances ready to go, but he scrapped it a week ago. 
“I thought, well . . . spring is a season for renewal and what could be more personal than our kids,” said Emanuel, who has three children: Zach, Ilana, and Leah [remember, he scorched reporters for bringing up his kids?--m.k.].
“But I wasn’t just thinking about my kids,” he said. “I was thinking about the human spirit and about kids who have an absence in their eyes that you don’t see in your own children."
Who's Lost?...Rahm was speaking not about his kids, but other people's children, who he describes as "a lost generation." You know -- the human spirit.

When the mayor talks about young people in Chicago, especially children of color, it's in the language of pathology and hand-wringing.
And so the mayor talked about the city's troubled youth, describing them as children who live in poverty, fail to receive a proper Mike Klonsky's SmallTalk Blog: 'Another lost generation': My notes from yesterday's inauguration: