Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, September 8, 2014

Why I am Refusing to Give the FAIR Test to my Kindergarteners! | Opt Out Orlando

Why I am Refusing to Give the FAIR Test to my Kindergarteners! | Opt Out Orlando:



Why I am Refusing to Give the FAIR Test to my Kindergarteners!

When teachers are refusing to administer tests on principle, and some are even opting their own children out of high stakes tests, parents need to take heed. 

I came across this letter today in the Opt Out Alachua Facebook group, one of fifteen new local opt out groups, formed with the support of Opt Out Orlando.  

This is a brilliant and brave letter from veteran Kindergarten teacher, Susan Bowles, of Gainesville, Florida. I cannot adequately express my respect and admiration for her courage and determination.  Her moving letter underscores all of the recent actions in this grassroots movement to push back against the market-based education reforms as reported in the Washington Post Answer Sheet blog:  FAIRTest: Testing Reform Victories: The First Wave.  We, parents, are locking arms with our teachers and pushing back against the punishing mandates being hurled at us from Tallahassee and state legislatures across the country.  We stand firmly behind this teacher and will lay odds that her community will too.  Her letter is introduced here by her proud and supportive husband, David.  When I spoke with David today, he said, “Go ahead and post it. She is in it – all the way!”  Susan and David Bowles are the proud parents of four adult children.

Opt Out Orlando fervently hopes that parents and teachers in Florida and across the country, who have been frustrated and oppressed by corporate education reform, will take heart in the rising courage and growing numbers of teachers like Susan Bowles.
____________________________________


David Bowles:  I tried to share this post by my wife, Susan, last night. I just found out her privacy settings don’t let others see it. I am very proud of her stance and completely support her, even if it means she loses her job. That would mean someone whose passion has always been about teaching little kids would be out of the profession. She began teaching in 1977.

Dear Facebook Friends,

I have just sent emails to my principal and CRT, the superintendent, my colleagues at school, the school board members, ACEA (local teachers’ union) and the Gainesville Sun. I have a letter ready to go to the parents of the children in my class, pending principal approval which is standard protocol.

WHY I AM REFUSING TO GIVE THE FAIR TEST TO MY KINDERGARTNERS!

We have given the FAIR assessment in the past but this year it was revamped. It does provide useful information, but nothing significantly superior to what a typical Kindergarten teacher would observe in her students. This year, it is Why I am Refusing to Give the FAIR Test to my Kindergarteners! | Opt Out Orlando: