Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, September 29, 2014

So Why Be Concerned About the Data Tracking of Personally Identifiable Information? A Congressional Candidate Tells You Why. | Missouri Education Watchdog

So Why Be Concerned About the Data Tracking of Personally Identifiable Information? A Congressional Candidate Tells You Why. | Missouri Education Watchdog:



Missouri Education Watchdog




So Why Be Concerned About the Data Tracking of Personally Identifiable Information? A Congressional Candidate Tells You Why.

kindergarten medical form
What questions are on your district’s kindergarten enrollment form? Who is accessing this information and why?

There has been a spirited discussion on a Facebook thread about information needed on a kindergarten admission form about the mother’s pregnancy: details of how the child was delivered and if the baby was premature.  This is ostensibly to determine if the child is suffering any delays from a difficult birthing process and would aid educational professionals for teaching strategies.
We wrote about the new forms for kindergarten entrance in October 2013 and one’s mother refusal to fill out these forms.  The principal tied the data requirement into the CCSSI (as the Initiative requires the expansion of longitudinal data systems for data tracking).  From Kindergarten – No One Gets In Without A Health Form:
I marched over to the elementary school office with the first page filled out in the registration packet only, and handed it to the secretary. When she flipped through the papers and noticed everything else was blank, she told me I’d have to get the rest done before my son could be registered. When I told her I wasn’t going to be getting the rest filled out, she told me that was “just procedure” for all kids, and that the info would be kept private. I asked her how she could promise me that when the district asked for that info, not this school in particular. She didn’t have an answer, so she called the Principal to the office.
The Principal took me into her office and shut the door. She asked what my concerns were with the registration papers. I told her I didn’t believe any health information on my child was necessary to teach him. I told her also that as his parent, I am very capable of making sure his health needs are taken care of, and that if he needed glasses, hearing aids, etc., I would be the one to get it done, and in the event that my son DID need medication, additional medical appliances that the school needed to be aware of, I would notify them. Other than that, I told her, that was HIS private information, and they were not going to have it under any circumstance.
When I told the Principal this, she asked me, “Are you worried that if you take your son to the doctor that he’ll find something wrong with him?” I knew then that she saw my refusal to comply as unacceptable or unreasonable. I explained again that I was certain that my child was completely healthy and able to learn, but that I didn’t believe the school district needed to know his weight or blood type in order to teach him. She tried to tell me that these forms were given to her by the district, that she didn’t have anything to do with them, and everyone needed to follow the rules in order to do anything in life. She explained that she So Why Be Concerned About the Data Tracking of Personally Identifiable Information? A Congressional Candidate Tells You Why. | Missouri Education Watchdog: