Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Evening Saturday morning reflection on teaching

Evening Saturday morning reflection on teaching:






Yes I know my title is somewhat contradictory, but I had too much else that had to be done this morning in order to draft one of my periodic reflections upon what it means to be a teacher, so I offer it to those who might be interested as the sky around me has turned almost completely dark.
I have now had my students since Wednesday August 27, a total of 17 class days.  But since we are on an A Day / B Day schedule, I have had class with my A Day students 9 times, my B day students 8 times. A day students are almost all 9th graders, either in Gifted & Talented Government or AP US Government & Politics.  B Day kids all 12th graders in AP Econ.
When in their sits I can now call more than 90% of them by their correct names, and the ones I can't is because they rarely volunteer in class, so I may have to look at my seating chart, call on them, and thus get them involved and me learning their names.
I can recognize them all in the hallway, even the quiet ones, and can now call about half of them by name outside of class.
It is a start.
It is important.
Students want to feel that I am making an effort to get to know them.
But that is the easy part.
Follow me beyond the fold as I explain.
I call all my parents at the start of the year, and if they are not there, leave a message including my cell phone.  That actually means many of my students have my cell phone, which I do not mind.  They all have my school and personal emails, and the ability to contact me through the program we use for registering grades.
All that has become relevant in the past week or so.
I have had a number of students either with panic attacks, or fearing they could not do the work.  
I have had parents reach out to me on a number of issues, including one very sweet young lady Evening Saturday morning reflection on teaching: