Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

8-20-14 Ed Notes Online Week

Ed Notes Online:







Sellout Fever: Newly Elected Revile - er - Revise NYSUT Officers Get Special Pension Deal From Cuomo, Klein and Skelos
NYSUT is proud to announce the first pension enhancement since 2000. After a long string of pension setbacks our legislative office has finally “turned the tide” and won a remarkable benefit for some of our most needy members.... Despite overseeing the creation of Tier V and Tier VI NYSUT First VP Andy Pallotta was undaunted and insisted we take this fight on. When asked why he was so slow to put

Police and Teachers, Their Unions and the March
There is so much to write about the relationship between UFT, the PBA, Mulgrew and Lynch, and the rank and file teachers and cops. So much to write that I have trouble sorting it all out. I have no personal issues with the police I have run into through my lifetime. But then again I am not black. I do have a problem with Patrick Lynch's assault on Mulgrew for a lack of union solidarity. I can't se

The Trouble With Frank Bruni
How far are we from the day when Whoopi, Campbell and the rest of the ed deform crowd flat out blame the death of Michael Brown on bad teachers? Joining the anti-teacher fray is former NY Times food writer Frank Bruni, another clueless NY Times columnist writing on education (see David Brooks, Thomas Friedman, Joe Nocera, Brent Staples, and even one bad column from the great Paul Krugman).I think

8-19-14 Ed Notes Online Week
Ed Notes Online: UFT 101: Why Does Our Teachers Union Matter? - Weds Aug. 20, 4PMSome of us in MORE are talking about a new teacher support group where we pair vets - especially retirees who might have the time - with newbies. (If you are a retiree or even currently teaching who might be interested, email me at normsco@gmail.com).I am somewhat surprised at how many people - and not just the usual