Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Marie Corfield: Robes of oppression: words & pictures on the Hobby Lobby decision

Marie Corfield: Robes of oppression: words & pictures on the Hobby Lobby decision:



Robes of oppression: words & pictures on the Hobby Lobby decision

Hiding behind robes of oppression

A picture is indeed worth a thousand words. I'm still reeling from the Supreme Court's Hobby Lobby decision Monday. I've tried to put words together to express my outrage over this continued assault on women's bodies and reproductive rights, but there are just too many racing through my head. 

As I always say, when all else fails, make art. So, here's my visual reaction. Please feel free to caption this as you see fit. Maybe you will help me find my voice in this mess.

Meantime, here's a report from the LA Times on the ripple effect that has already begun, and includes this quote from Eden Foods owner, Michael Potter, on the real reason he wanted to see this ruling: 

I don’t care if the federal government is telling me to buy my employees Jack Daniel’s or birth control. What gives them the right to tell me that I have to do that? That’s my issue, that’s what I object to, and that’s the beginning and end of the story.

Yea, Michael, it's really all about your religious freedom. Suffice to say I will no longer be purchasing any of your company's products. I do hope that if—God forbid (no pun
Marie Corfield: Robes of oppression: words & pictures on the Hobby Lobby decision: