Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Lesson 5: Love is the Answer. And Also Skills. But Also Love. | Gatsby In L.A.

Lesson 5: Love is the Answer. And Also Skills. But Also Love. | Gatsby In L.A.:



Lesson 5: Love is the Answer. And Also Skills. But Also Love.








 Remember my friend Lauren the English teacher? The one my former student Gerardo said had turned his life around because she just refused to give up on him?

I just found out that 16 of her students from last year passed the AP English Literature exam. Four of them scored “4’s.”
In the case of Lauren’s class, we are talking about students from one of the highest-poverty communities in Los Angeles, who until high school had attended some of the most infamously terrible schools in Los Angeles, many of whom came into 9th grade reading well below grade level. The AP English Lit exam, for those of you who haven’t taken it, relies heavily on a student’s knowledge of the entire body of English and American Literature. Of the many things I learned this year, one of them is that students who live in very high-poverty communities like South L.A. or Watts live in a kind of isolation that segregates them from exposure to other socioeconomic groups, which makes tests like the AP Lit exam, which tests upper-middle-class cultural knowledge as much as writing skills, particularly difficult. I’ve actually never heard of such a large number of kids passing the AP Lit exam at a school in a high-poverty community.
I know, because Lauren is incredibly modest, that she is going to want to kill me for writing about her, but she’s going to have to deal with it, because what she did is amazing—and it helps me understand the most important lesson I learned all year, which is that great teaching is much, much more than a set of techniques. I know that Lauren has Lesson 5: Love is the Answer. And Also Skills. But Also Love. | Gatsby In L.A.: