About this time last year I met Steve. I was conducting researching for What They Don’t Teach You and hoping to speak with a couple TFA teachers from around the country. Steve was just about to leave for the Teach for America training institute and got in touch, so our first conversation occurred months before he’d even set foot in a classroom. Like so many, he joined Teach for America right out of college because he wanted to make a difference. Say what you want about the program, TFA is an appealing opportunity to new graduates. We kept in touch over the months and in January 2014, we met in a swanky bar not too far from his school.
The following is a transcript of our conversation. Details have been removed or altered to protect Steve’s identity.



What made you want to get into teaching?

S: In college I studied human services and international affairs. My focus was social change. I did a lot of work with kids. I was always volunteering in elementary schools around the Austin area. I love working with kids. I taught a little bit in college too with a volunteer program. We taught essentially a social and emotional curriculum through games and such. I’d go in once a week and taught for about an hour.

You’re originally from Austin?

S: No, I’m originally from New Jersey. Yeah, I was born in Brooklyn and then we moved down to Jersey. Went to college in Austin. I’ve always had a sense of justice, I guess you’d say, so I did a lot of organizing. I did a lot of work with labor rights organizations and umm, throughout the latter half of college I was Honest Practicum – Exclusive interview – A TFA teacher working at Success Academy, Part 1: