Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, July 4, 2014

Frankly My Dear… | WagTheDog

Frankly My Dear… | WagTheDog:



Frankly My Dear…





 1441549_670116326353533_813846144_n
Many people have commented on David Coleman’s infamous statement at a 4/28/11 Common Core conference in NY:
“As you grow up in this world, you realize people really don’t give a sh#@ about what you feel or what you think.”
Coleman’s dismissal and disapproval of personal reflections is also apparent in the Common Core teacher training video; “Preparing for Close Reading with Students” as evidenced by the following exchange at 16:40 in the video…
Coleman: He moves to this very philosophical treatise on just and unjust law and what does it mean. And I think for students that’s very exciting cause he, I think the question of whether to follow a law is pretty interesting to them. What rules can they break, what rules can’t they break?
Gerson: And who’s rules are they?
King: But again, that’s one of those challenges right, because kids are gonna want to take that off into a conversation about rules and rule breaking…
Gerson: This uniform is an unjust law
King: Right, right…exactly, exactly. Again I think the discipline that you’re calling for is so important to stick with the text, stick with King’s argument, and try to avoid going too Frankly My Dear… | WagTheDog: