Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, July 4, 2014

Day 2: NEA Rep Assembly BAT Blog #NEARA14 #NEABAT (With pictures) | Continuing Change

Day 2: NEA Rep Assembly BAT Blog #NEARA14 #NEABAT (With pictures) | Continuing Change:



Day 2: NEA Rep Assembly BAT Blog #NEARA14 #NEABAT (With pictures)

 
 
 
 
 
 
Rate This


image

On yet another beautiful Colorado day, thousands upon thousands of teachers and support personnel poured into the Denver Convention Center.
Today, our National Education Association kicked off our 2014 Representative Assembly with a fan fare of music, lights, and even remote control video cameras.
As, I entered the main assembly seating area, I quickly realized I had underestimated the amount of coffee that I would need that day.
Most of the morning seemed to be a tribute to Dennis Van Roekel, our retiring President. I have never met him, but I am pretty sure we have been in a few articles together, so I was curious as to his personality. On stage, he was lighthearted and funny during the tribute. His mother came up and spoke on his behalf. It was a precious moment.
During afternoon debate, DVR tightened up a little bit on the personality. Debate went fast and he rules a pretty strict parlimentary procedure. I must admit, as a first time delegate, I was a bit intimidated.
I never did find the needed coffee, but I did find Fred Klonsky, retired teacher, blogger, and one of my personal heroes. #EvenBetter
I did eventually get up and go to the microphone to speak on a new business item which involved art and core standards. My “comical” moment made EdWeek Blog:
“In one of the more comical moments of the convention so far, Bonnie Margolin, a self-proclaimed Badass Teacher, took the microphone to respond to that proposal. “I stood up in opposition initially because it says core standards, but I can see that it was written by teachers and educators so I’m rescinding my opposition,” she said. The BATs, as they call Day 2: NEA Rep Assembly BAT Blog #NEARA14 #NEABAT (With pictures) | Continuing Change: