Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, July 21, 2014

Are First-Year Teachers Ever Proficient? - Teacher in a Strange Land - Education Week Teacher

Are First-Year Teachers Ever Proficient? - Teacher in a Strange Land - Education Week Teacher:



Are First-Year Teachers Ever Proficient?

I was enormously impressed with a recent blog by Tim Walker (Taught By Finland), an American teacher currently working in Finland. In this piece--a must-read, especially for novice teachers and policy-makers--Walker confesses to being something of a mess in his first year of teaching:
I would wake up seven or eight times a night, feeling so anxious and dreading the next day. There were several times when I would throw up before school. Teaching a lesson - something that I love to do now - felt like the worst thing I could do, it felt torturous. I saw myself deteriorating and really I just felt: "what is going on?" I had been really interested in teaching and thought I loved the profession - now it was making me sick.
I ended up taking time off, which was so embarrassing, but sealed the deal in hitting rock bottom. I knew that everyone was aware that I was having a hard time, and that enabled me to get the support that I needed. I took a month off and returned in a different capacity as an assistant teacher. Before, I hadn't had a model of a great first grade teacher, I didn't have observation hours or experience. I felt kind of lost.
Walker's realization that he wasn't ready--hadn't been properly trained, and didn't have the support system he needed--was a turning point. Fortunately for Walker, his students, past and present, and the profession, he was able to step back and start over in building a genuine career. His experience should be a revelation for anyone who thinks teaching is simply a matter of being smart and "with-Are First-Year Teachers Ever Proficient? - Teacher in a Strange Land - Education Week Teacher: