Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Oregon Save Our Schools: Schools Need Vigor, Not Rigor

Oregon Save Our Schools: Schools Need Vigor, Not Rigor:



Putting the Public Back in Our Public Schools!


Schools Need Vigor, Not Rigor






by Joanne Yatvin

Though my years in the classroom are long past, at heart I am still a cranky old English teacher who bristles at some of the neologisms that have crept into public language.  I never tack “ly” onto ordinal number words, or say “myself” when I mean “I” or “me.” I won’t use “access” or “impact” as verbs because I consider them to be only nouns. Even so, I remain politely quiet when others commit such grammatical transgressions. But there is one word I dislike so intensely when used in connection with education that I can’t remain silent under any circumstances.  That word is: “rigor.”  Part of my reaction is emotional, having so often heard “rigor” paired with “mortis.” The other part is logical, stemming from the literal meanings of rigor: harshness, severity, strictness, inflexibility and immobility.

None of these things is what I want for students at any level. And, although I don’t believe that the politicians, scholars or media commentators who use the word so freely really want them, either, I still reproach them for using the wrong word and the wrong concept to characterize educational excellence.

Rigor has been used to promote the idea that American students need advanced course work, complex texts, and longer school days and years in order to be ready for college or the workplace. But, so far, the rigorous practices put in place under the federal Oregon Save Our Schools: Schools Need Vigor, Not Rigor:

Parent Child Preschool Organization Comes Opposes Oregon's Kindergarten Assessment
Kathy Ems, the president of the Parent Child Preschool Organization, a membership organization for cooperative preschools with over 60 affiliated preschools in Oregon and Washington, has come out against the Oregon Kindergarten Assessment. Part of her letter is below. For more go to http://oregonka.weebly.com/May 5, 2014Hello, PCPO parents and teachers,Your kindergartner, upon entering an Oregon p