Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Barbara Kanninen for Arlington County School Board

Barbara Kanninen for Arlington County School Board:



Barbara Kanninen - for Arlington County School Board

Perhaps a single seat on a local school board might not seem a matter of sufficient importance for a national political blog such as Daily Kos.
And after all, I am prejudiced.
I live in Arlington Virginia, so my taxes go towards our superb public school system.
I am also a professional educator (although I teach in Maryland), so I take the matter of school governance very seriously.
Besides, we do our elections differently in Arlington, which gives me a chance to explain, or if you prefer, "teach" a bit about how we do things.
Most of all, it gives me a chance to tell about a superb candidate whom I have come to know and whom I am proud to call my friend.
Her name is Barbara Kanninen, she holds a Ph. D. in Economics, she has served as a member of the County Government's Fiscal Affairs Advisory Committee, and has more than twenty years service to our young people as a volunteer in and to the schools.  In fact, rather than list her many accomplishments, I suggest that you read her biographical material.
And if you would be so kind, please continue to read what I have to say.
What is happening on two days this week is that the Arlington Democratic Party is selecting its nominee for the position on the school board that is open as the result of Sally Bai4d's decision Barbara Kanninen for Arlington County School Board: