Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, May 9, 2014

5-9-14 Fred Klonsky | Daily posts from a retired public school teacher

Fred Klonsky | Daily posts from a retired public school teacher who is just looking at the data.:



Who knows more




Ten minute drawing. Education Secretary?


Corpowriter. “They say “yes!” And “absolutely!” and “please” and “thank you” and they smile and they don’t complain and they will work whatever hours it takes.”
Fred, Meanwhile, students graduating from US public high schools are an international joke. I live and work in San Francisco (my hometown) and believe me, people who got degrees in Vietnam and India and Pakistan, China and Japan had already outpaced the average US high school graduate by the time they were 13. My community college catalog here is FILLED with remedial English/reading courses…we are


Collective bargaining is the right to know and say no.
UFT President Michael Mulgrew. I’ve been at the bargaining table many times. I’ve bargained lots of teacher contracts for my local. I believe in collective bargaining. I believe in being at the table. But collective bargaining is more than an abstract right that being in a union provides us. We bargain something. Wages. Benefits. Working conditions. Teaching conditions. Learning conditions. As a



5-8-14 Fred Klonsky | Daily posts from a retired public school teacher
Fred Klonsky | Daily posts from a retired public school teacher who is just looking at the data.: Sad news from Chiapas, Mexico.Sad news from Chiapas, Mexico. A teacher was murdered. We have traveled to Chiapas on several occasions. One Christmas in 1997 we arrived in San Critstobol de las Casas just hours after 45 innocents villages were murdered in the town of Acteal, just 50 miles to the north.