Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

5-7-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:








This Week’s “Round-Up” Of Useful Posts & Articles On Education Policies
Here are several recent useful posts and articles on educational policy issues: What If Teacher Evaluation Isn’t Actually Broken After All? by Paul Bruno is a really excellent post. I’m adding it to The Best Resources For Learning About Effective Student & Teacher Assessments. Merit Badges for Teachers? You’ve Gotta Be Joking is by John Thompson. Failing Schools: Conflicts over How to Write,
How Much Do We Teachers Spend On Our Classrooms?
Last year, I posted this infographic reporting what a survey says the average teacher spends on their classroom. I thought it was a “low-ball” figure, and at least some readers agreed: Teachers Spend Hundreds of Own Funds to Keep Up With Classroom Needs infographic by ginatomko.     Today, Vox published a number of very good charts on the same topic (I’d encourage you to check out Most teache
This Week In Web 2.0
In yet another attempt to get at the enormous backlog I have of sites worth blogging about, I’ve recently begin a regular feature called “The Week In Web 2.0.” (you might also be interested in The Best Web 2.0 Applications For Education In 2013). I also sometimes include tech tools that might not exactly fit the definition of Web 2.0: Twoople lets you set up a permanent chatboard that you can sha


“Pixteller” Lets You Make Visually Attractive Quotations
Reader Irina let me know about Pixteller, another tool that lets you easily create visually attractive quotations. Here’s an example (the quote comes from a piece I wrote about Social Emotional Learning for The Washington Post): I’m adding it to The Best Tools For Creating Visually Attractive Quotations For Online Sharing.

“How Can Administrators Support an Engaging Curriculum in the Classroom?”
How Can Administrators Support an Engaging Curriculum in the Classroom? is my latest “question-of-the-week” at my Education Week Teacher column. Feel free to leave your responses here in the comments section or there…


I Learn Another Great Game For English Langage Learners From Jimmy Fallon
Last year, I wrote about a fun game for English Language Learners that I learned from late-night talk show host Jimmy Fallon (see Jimmy Fallon Comes Up With A Great Game For English Language Learners). Today, I learned another one… He calls it Word Sneak, and it’s a simple one — two people are given five words that they have to fit into a conversation. Obviously, it’s very funny the way he uses

YESTERDAY

“What Are the Best Ways for Teachers to Work With School Counselors?” Is Topic Of My Latest BAM! Program
What Are the Best Ways for Teachers to Work With School Counselors? is the topic of my latest ten minute BAM! Radio program. I talk with Mindy Willard, 2013 American School Counselor of the Year, and Leticia Gallardo, who is the best counselor I’ve ever seen. They are both contributors to an upcoming Ed Week column I have on the subject.
5-6-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: The Best Articles Showing Why Education Reform Is NOT The Best Way To Fight PovertyPaul Bruno has described one of my common frustrations: When charged with “ignoring poverty”, many education reformers will respond that in fact improving education is the best way to fight poverty. Arne Duncan once went so far as to say that