Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

5-27-13 Curmudgucation

CURMUDGUCATION:






Reasons To Oppose Common Core (and Reasons Not To)
"I'm arguing with my brother-in-law (or uncle or cranky neighbor of postal delivery person) about the Common Core, and I need some points to really shut him up."Can we help? Lots of folks have answered this need, and done it well (in particular, I recommend Anthony Cody's "Ten Colossal Errors.") But your brother-in-law may require something a bit more pithy. Let me offer some s


Test (In)Security
One of the features of High Stakes Testing is a level of security usually associated with large bales of money, important state secrets, and the recipe for Bush's Baked Beans. On facebook, in the category of "Ethical Dilemmas Nobody Ever Thought She'd Face," teachers are arguing about whether it's okay to photograph or copy any of the PARCC or SBA exams. I have a thought-- but first, let


CURMUDGUCATION: I'm Not Blogging Today
CURMUDGUCATION: I'm Not Blogging Today: I'm Not Blogging TodayI realize that title launches me into some sort of post-modern metablogging fogbank, but hey-- it's the 21st century.Shortly I'll head out the door to march with a 158-year-old community band in a small town Memorial Day parade, followed by a program in the city park. Because this is all within walking distance, my wife and I will strol




5-25-13 Curmudgucation
CURMUDGUCATION: CAP Serves Some CCSS BaloneyThe Center for American Progress came down hard for the Common Core last week, providing yet another field test for the 100% baloney sandwich that is the Core's urban poor talking point menu.In "The Common Core Is An Opportunity for Educational Equity,", CAP asserts, "The Common Core State Standards hold promise for low-income students, st