Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, May 2, 2014

5-2-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:







‘The Grading System We Need to Have’
‘The Grading System We Need to Have’ is my latest Education Week Teacher post. It features Rick Wormeli and others. Here are some excerpts:

New Writing Prompt For My U.S. History Class
It’s that time of year, so today I’m preparing writing prompts as part of semester finals for my classes. For my United States History for English Language Learners class, I will be showing students the video embedded below and giving them the first page of this PDF on why we study history, along with this list from School History on the same topic. They’ll need to use those resources to respond


Here’s The Writing Prompt I’m Using For My Geography Class
As regular readers know, I teach a Geography class for English Language Learners (and will be teaching similar U.S. History and World History courses next year). Here’s the simple writing prompt I’m using as part of my semester final (you can download it here): Geography Final Essay “I was not sorry for loving Charleston or for leaving it. Geography had made me who I was.” ― Sue Monk Kidd, The I

May’s Best Tweets — Part One
Every month I make a few short lists highlighting my choices of the best resources I through (and learned from) Twitter, but didn’t necessarily include them in posts here on my blog. I’ve already shared in earlier posts several new resources I found on Twitter — and where I gave credit to those from whom I learned about them. Those are not included again in post. If you don’t use Twitter, you can
Quote Of The Day: “Why Are Teachers Of Color Missing In Teacher Of The Year Selection?”
Melinda D. Anderson wrote an important article titled Why Are Teachers Of Color Missing In Teacher Of The Year Selection? Here’s an excerpt:
5-1-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: TED-Ed Video: “Not all scientific studies are created equal”I’m adding this video to The Best Resources For Understanding How To Interpret Education Research:by Larry Ferlazzo / 2h   4-30-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFLLarry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ES