Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Jersey Jazzman: Charter Schools: The New Battle of Trenton

Jersey Jazzman: Charter Schools: The New Battle of Trenton:

Charter Schools: The New Battle of Trenton

So you guys have all seen this:

On Christmas Day, 1775, George Washington and his troops crossed the Delaware River, starting at what is known now as Upper Makefield, PA. The general led his forces south along the banks of the river, eventually sneaking up on the Hessians, the German mercenary troops of the British who were occupying Trenton. The Germans had been partying to celebrate the season, and weren't quite in their best fighting shape when George attacked. It was an important victory.

The reason I know this is that Upper Makefield is my hometown. Every year I would get dragged out by my parents on December 25th to watch our neighbors dress up like Continental Army soldiers and reenact Washington's crossing at the very same spot.

I always suspected that my parents' friends who volunteered for this duty were celebrating the season in much the same way as the Hessians before the reenactment. I say this because, year after year, the Durham boats used in the pageant would wind up taking extremely circuitous routes to the New Jersey side of the river, betraying a lack of naval coordination and river-faring acumen that was likely precipitated by the consumption of copious amounts of distilled beverages.

I could be wrong, of course. But I'm not...

There's a way-too-narrow bridge now where the crossing occurred (famously described in Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five) whose pylons make for a few small islands in the

- See more at: http://jerseyjazzman.blogspot.com/2014/04/charter-schools-new-battle-of-trenton.html#sthash.rSLCWdV6.dpuf