Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

4-8-13 Curmudgucation Week

CURMUDGUCATION:








I Love My Job (Seriously)
Regular readers of this blog (I believe there are at least three, now) probably expected that the headline was setting up some sort of sarcastic satirical rant. But no-- that's not where I'm going today.Because I do, in fact, actually love my job.Sometimes it's the obvious stuff. A few weeks back I was hustling in overdrive overtime to pull together a hundred-plus students into a production of the

Why "Reformy"?
Part of a series of posts for folks who are just beginning to find there way through the current debates on education. My blog dedicated to that audience is Reclaiming Pubic Education 101.As one wades out into the sea of education blogging, one repeatedly encounters the term "reformy" or "reformy stuff." There's a short explanation, but it underlines one of the central issues o


4-7-13 Curmudgucation Week
CURMUDGUCATION: What the Hell Happened in Kansas?Late last night, the Kansas legislature stripped Kansas teachers of all major job protections.I suppose you could claim that it wasn't all bad; Kansas ultimately decided NOT to pay parents to home school. But all in all, it was still pretty bad.It was a textbook example of how politics works these days (and also how it is covered; in Pennsylvania I