Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, March 21, 2014

Parents, Workers, Community Leaders Hold Sit-In at Gov. Cuomo's Office to Demand Focus on Needs of Everyday New Yorkers NY for All of Us!

NY for All of Us!:



Parents, Workers, Community Leaders Hold Sit-In at Gov. Cuomo's Office to Demand Focus on Needs of Everyday New Yorkers
Facing Growing Inequality and Neglect of NY's Working & Middle Classes, 59 Moved to Civil Disobedience in Effort to Change State's Priorities

NY for All of Us!

Albany, NY - Intending to shift Governor Cuomo's policy priorities away from the needs of big banks and the wealthy, and instead focus on the needs of everyday New Yorkers, more than 400 protested at the state Capitol on Thursday, with 59 arrested in an act of civil disobedience.

Specifically, the protesters demanded that Governor Cuomo ensure fair funding for public education, prevention of billions in tax breaks for big banks and the rich, passage of the DREAM Act, a ban on hydrofracking, passage of GENDA, and focus on other human rights and environmental issues.

Pointing to New York State's #1-in-inequality status, the multi-issue coalition sought to push legislators to reject budget proposals that give away billions in tax breaks to the rich, underfund education, ignore the needs of immigrants, and avoid protecting the environment.

"I have children in both public and charter schools and a 4 year old about to start school. I want what is best for all my kids. Our traditional public schools are not getting enough funding to provide quality education. Governor Cuomo needs to focus on 100% of children in the New York school system, not just the 3% of students in Charters," said Cinthia Macias, parent leader with New York Communities for Change.

"While working at a restaurant in Queens, I regularly worked 10 - 14 hours every day, seven days a week, but I was never paid for most of the hours I worked. In April 2013, I filed a wage theft case with the New York State Department of Labor. I have been waiting now for over 11 months for my wages to be recovered. On Thursday, I will stand up for all low-wage workers who can't afford to have one more dollar stolen," said Celina Alvarez, a member of Make the Road New York.

“I desperately want my children to get out of poverty, and I know that a high quality education is the only way out. However, my children’s schools have seen cuts that left them without music, extracurricular activities, supports for teachers and other basic classroom necessities. I’m disrupting business as usual in Albany for my children, whose public schools are being neglected and underfunded by Governor Cuomo,” said DeJohn Joan, a parent leader with the Alliance for Quality Education.

"I really want my grandson to follow in my footsteps and become a teacher, but it seems like his opportunities are slipping away. When my children went to public school they got a good education, but now my grandson's school has cut art, music and sports, and the class sizes are huge. I won't just sit by and watch while Gov. Cuomo and the legislature refuse to fund my grandson's education," said Providencia Carrion, a member of Citizen Action of New York.

Organizations participating include: 350 NYC, ACT NOW, ALIGN Alliance for a Greater New York, Alliance for Quality Education, Bronx Defenders, Chelsea, West Village for Change, Citizen Action of New York, Community Voices Heard, Effective NY, Environmental Advocates of NY ,Greater NYC For Change, Hand in Hand: The Domestic Employers Network, Jews for Racial and Economic Justice, Judson Memorial Church, Labor-Religion Coalition of New York State, Long Island Progressive Coalition, Make the Road New York, Metro Justice, Minkwon Center for Community Action, NARAL Pro-Choice New York, National Domestic Workers Alliance, New York Communities for Change, New York Immigration Coalition, New Yorkers for Fiscal Fairness, Picture the Homeless, Professional Staff Congress- CUNY, Strong Economy for All Coalition, United for Action, United NY