Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

On her 80th Birthday: Reflections on Meeting Gloria Steinem in India « Feminist Teacher

On her 80th Birthday: Reflections on Meeting Gloria Steinem in India « Feminist Teacher:



On her 80th Birthday: Reflections on Meeting Gloria Steinem in India



Gloria Steinem spoke at the India International Center in January to launch her book tour (photo credit: Ileana Jiménez, Feminist Teacher).
Gloria Steinem spoke in January at the India International Centre in Delhi to launch her book tour for “As if Women Matter.” (photo credit: Ileana Jiménez, Feminist Teacher).
At the start of 2014, I led a seven-week tour of schools in India speaking to high school students about feminism and education.
Little did I know that one of my favorite feminists and fellow Smith alums, Gloria Steinem, would also be conducting an Indian tour of her own.
One morning in Delhi, I opened an email from Smith trustee, Mona Sinha. She urged me to go hear Steinem at the nearby India International Centre, where she was going to speak about her new book, As if Women Matter, alongside her longtime friend and activist, Ruchira Gupta, founder of Apne Aap, which supports survivors of sex trafficking, and who had also edited Steinem’s new book.
I immediately made my reservation. I wanted a chance to speak to her in the very