Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Improve Democracy, Not Tests - Bridging Differences - Education Week

Improve Democracy, Not Tests - Bridging Differences - Education Week:



Improve Democracy, Not Tests

Deborah Meier continues her conversation with Robert Pondiscio of Democracy Prep.


Dear Robert,
It's not and never will be a perfect world. You've hit upon one example. Is profiteering off school materials not legit? Should teachers get paid less than the market rate because they are teaching in public schools?
Dilemmas abound and exactly where to draw the line will always be tricky. But even if we're not sure we know very well that it's a subject of universal concern. The obligation to pay close attention to conflicts of interest has similar concerns at stake. Even if it's devilishly hard to know when self-interest must give way to public interest it is no reason for ignoring the dilemma.
I was always amused at the quality of masking tape that the board sent to our school. The only nonstick masking tape I ever used. I decided it came from the "seconds" supply. It's easier to get away with shoddy goods when the users are two or more steps removed from the producer.
Similarly, I grumbled when the price of something I ordered through the board cost me MORE than at the local hardware store. I was always irritated when I couldn't buy beautiful second-hand books from my wonderful Book Barn with school funds. Nor could I give away books or furniture that