Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

for the love of learning: 3 Things I learned from Network for Public Education Conference

for the love of learning: 3 Things I learned from Network for Public Education Conference:



3 Things I learned from Network for Public Education Conference


What am I doing here?
I am Joe Bower (and that is Deborah Meier) and I teach in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada. I wish to challenge 'traditional' schooling while exploring more progressive forms of education. I intend on using this blog to uproot some of the most deeply rooted myths that continue to distract people from a love for learning. And I am going to have fun doing it!


I spent the weekend in Austin, Texas at the first Network for Public Education (NPE) and it was fantastic. You can find my day 1 post here and my day 2 post here.

Here are 3 things I learned from The Network for Public Education Conference:

1. Relationships. I was so happy to get a chance to meet some very cool people that, until this weekend, I had only known as avatars on Twitter. Don't get me wrong, I love social media -- while social media can help connect people by removing the obstacles of time and place, it is no substitute for real life, face to face relationships. I was so happy to meet and spend time with Kirsten HillAdam HolmanJose VilsonStephanie CerdaXian Barrett,Audrey WattersSabrina StevensKatie Osgood and Phil Cantor.

I got to briefly meet Deb MeierAnthony CodyDiane Ravitch, and Chris Lehmann.

2. Assault on Public Education. As the token Canadian at the conference, I was struck by the raw emotion that dominated the conference -- teachers are saddened and angered by the assault on public education lead by profiteers, politicians and privatizers.

The politics and problems killing American Education is complex, but here's my Wikipedia