Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, March 27, 2014

3-27-14 Ed Notes Online

Ed Notes Online:







Refuse the Tests: Change the Stakes Releases Video
Amazing - Lisa Donlan, parent, CEC 1 Join the hundreds of NYC parents -- let's make it thousands -- who are refusing to let their children take the NYS tests, which begin April 1st! Watch our powerful new video where parents explain why they're opting out! Visit the Change the Stakes website to view the video and access information that tells you how to opt your child out of the tests. If you have


CEC 21 (Brooklyn) calls on Farina and de Blasio to reverse co-location plan for I.S. 281, Joseph B. Cavallaro and I.S. 96, Seth Low
I was at the rally this afternoon - Tish James and other politicos came down - I have some video - will update this space when processed.              Officers: Heather Fiorica, President · Anna Lembersky, 1st Vice President · Joyce Finger, 2nd Vice President ·Linda Dalton, Recording Secretary ·Randi Garay, TreasurerMembers: Muneer Abualroub ·Mohammad Akram ·Sean Chin ·Maria Di Graziano ·Yoketing

WAGPOPS, District 14 Resources for Opt-Outers
My old district where I worked for 35 years is beginning to come up big time in the opt-out movement -- and new alliances are being built with parents, some principals and the Superintendent -- many people I've known for decades plus the newcomers.Below is a letter from parent activist Lorna. I taped the town hall last week. Link: https://vimeo.com/90159926Hello Parents -- As you know, the state t

WPIX Video: Opt-Out, Test Resistance Breaks into Mainstream -
Jeannette Deutermann of Long Island Opt out, Lisa Rudley of NYSAPE and Diana Zavala of Change the Stakes on WPIX this morning.Yay for our own Diana, former NYC teacher and parent activist supreme.Finally, the key to the ed deform movement - high stakes testing for kids and teachers - is beginning to come apart. Even that bastion of media ed deform - NBC - The Today Show - did a segment the other d
Change the Stakes Press Release: Number of NYC Parents Refusing State Tests Expected to Triple in 2014
Change the StakesChangethestakes.orgFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                               March 26, 2014CONTACT:  Janine Sopp, 917-541-6062, janinesopp@gmail.comNancy Cauthen, 646-438-1233, nkcauthen@earthlink.net            Number of NYC Parents Refusing State Tests Expected to Triple in 2014New York City –What began two years ago as a small pocket of resistance has burgeoned into a


The End of My Brief Acting Career: How to Succeed... Heads for Final Weekend
So I am a few days away from ending my preoccupation with this once in a lifetime theater experience, so bear with me. Even though in the play, I've managed to do a bunch of video. Here is one I shot Sunday when I had to miss the performance due to a party but got there in time to shoot part of Act II. Here is the big number - missing me of course.https://vimeo.com/90084496 RTCBRotherMar 23 2014 f

YESTERDAY

Emergency Education Rally (Thursday) Noon at Tweed
From Noah GotbaumAnyone who can make it should do so.  The state budget is hitting crunch time, with the Charter lobby spending millions on behalf of privatization and the 3% in charters, while firmly controlling both the Governor and the State Senate.  Support must be given to Speaker Silver and the Assembly Dems to hold fast for the 97% of our kids in public schools and for public education, and
3-26-14 Ed Notes Online
Ed Notes Online: A Newark Teacher on Randi's Support for Common CoreThe woman changes colors more often than a chameleon!... Newark TeacherBreaking News: AFT President Randi Weingarten continues to advocate for Common Core State Standards and now opposes standardized testing and VAM.I am sitting here reading my American Educator/Spring 2014 magazine and I cannot believe my eyes. I have reread Rand