Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

3-12-14 Ed Notes Online

Ed Notes Online:



Eva Rules




How to Make a Fool Out of Yourself: I Do It the Company Way at Rockaway Theatre Production of “How to Succeed…”
OK, it's put up or shut up time. After weeks of rehearsals we have hit the dress-rehearsal time tonight and tomorrow. I have a total of 4 lines and am in a bunch of production numbers where I try to hide behind the other guys. I love working with this mainly very young cast - even with some high school kids who already know a hell of a lot about the theater. I'll get into details about some of the

Portelos Arrested and Released After 30 Hours in Holding Cell As Asst. DA Tosses Case
Note to DOE Legal: How do you spell D-I-S-B-A-R?Ramifications of tactic of having teachers arrested for fighting back will be felt.I can just imagine the judge getting as big a laugh as Francesco got as he snookered DOE Legal into taking an outrageous action against him by involving the NYCPD in what was clearly a joke posting that he hacked into the DOE payroll system and gave himself a raise cla

Media Fawns Over Eva Moskowitz Lies
I always love Eva Moskowitz because in the long run her over reaching is bad for the charter movement, which I am interested in destroying. So here's to Eva as her outright lies get some exposure, although not mainstream -- yet.Another winner from Ravitch.Fact-Checking Eva’s Claims on National Televisionby dianeravitch This article, which I co-wrote with Avi Blaustein, an independent education res

Eva Moskowitz to Autistic Kids: Screw You
I'm cross-posting. I have video interviews with Noah from Monday's rally in Harlem but have to race off to Rockaway Theater to help clean the place for Friday's opening. Noah Gotbaum: Who Are the Real Victims of Eva Moskowitz’s “Success Academies”?by dianeravitch In an article in the New York Daily News, which has been an outspoken champion of charters schools and Eva Moskowitz's attacks on Mayo

Friday March 14 - MORE Park Slope Happy Hour

Darn - I won't make this one as it is opening night for How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying - my musical debut. (I have 4 lines).Greetings,We invite everyone to the MORE Park Slope Happy Hourthis Friday March 14 afterschool from 4-6pm at Freddy’s Bar in the Backroom located at 627 5th Avenue, between 17th & 18th Streets in Park Slope, Brooklyn  Tell us about what’s happening in yo


3-11-14 Ed Notes Online
Ed Notes Online: NY Times on Chris Pavone bookI've known Chris Pavone since he was 3 years old when his mom, Vera Pavone, brought him to a meeting of Another View in District 14, the beginning of a 43 year political and personal relationship with Vera and her partner at the time, Paul Baizerman. These were the guys who had the most influence on me politically and in many ways personally. I won't g