Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The mother of the seriously disabled child who recently died, tells the FLDOE about the insane high stakes testing demands… | Reclaim Reform

The mother of the seriously disabled child who recently died, tells the FLDOE about the insane high stakes testing demands… | Reclaim Reform:



The mother of the seriously disabled child who recently died, tells the FLDOE about the insane high stakes testing demands…

Ethan Rediske, the seriously disabled child who recently died, was pressured until his death to take Florida’s mandatory high stakes tests. Ethan’s mother addresses the Florida Department of Education members.
ethan_2
Presently this video is posted for Facebook viewers.
Here is the text of her statement.
My name is Andrea Rediske, and I am Ethan Rediske’s mother. Before you peg me as merely an angry and grieving mother, let me tell you a little bit about myself: I am an educator. I have a Master’s degree in microbiology and have been an adjunct professor of microbiology for 11 years. I have a passion for education and I know how to write an exam that accurately assesses the abilities of my students. Not only was the Florida Adapted Assessment inappropriate for the level of my son’s abilities, it endangered his health – the long, stressful testing sessions requiring him to sit in his wheelchair caused pressure sores, fluid to pool in his lungs, and increased seizures and spasticity that