Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, February 8, 2014

NYC Educator: Andy Cuomo's Three-Ring Common Core Circus

NYC Educator: Andy Cuomo's Three-Ring Common Core Circus:



Andy Cuomo's Three-Ring Common Core Circus

Intrepid Reality-Based Educator has the rundown on Governor Andy's Common Core panel.  I hear good things about teacher Todd Hathaway, who may perhaps counter the other teacher, E4E's Nick Lawrence, who of course supports whatever E4E's corporate overlords see fit. As someone who deals with real live teachers every day of my life, as someone who knows no one who supports E4E or its reprehensible policies, I find it outrageous that they get equal representation to that of real working teachers.

And yes, I know that Lawrence may be a working teacher but there is no way on God's green earth that his policies represent those of any more than a tiny fraction of teachers, particularly those of us encumbered with conscience. There are bright spots on the panel, like Linda Darling-Hammond, yet even she does not oppose Common Core. There is also Cathy Nolan, who was brilliant at the Grover Cleveland High School hearing, but who, alas, does not oppose Common Core.

I have not the foggiest notion how or why TNTP or IBM represent the people of New York. I will grant they may represent, like E4E, the fine folks who funnel much-needed cash toward Andrew Cuomo's relentless ambition/ campaign funds. Senator John Flanagan, of course, is the man who sponsored legislation, on behalf of Emperor Bloomberg, to destroy seniority rights for NYC teachers only. (Perish forbid there should be blowback from the district the fine Senator actually represents.) It's acutely bizarre to see UFT boast of his inclusion on Cuomo's panel.

What can we expect from this panel? Will the one independently-minded educator be able to sway everyone else? Will they support a two-year 


The ATRs Are Coming!
The Daily News has a piece about Absent Reserve Teachers, and oh no, new chancellor Carmen Fariña is actually thinking of putting them to work! The headline itself trumpets they are "considered undesirable by principals."The article suggests this move could save the city $100 million a year, but that's not remotely its main thrust....half have disciplinary histories or unsatisfactory rat

FEB 05

On Wearing a Tie
I've worn a tie to work most of the time since I began teaching.  Early in my career, I got stopped by a guard at John F. Kennedy High School who mistook me for a student. I began wearing them daily after that, as they got me in the door a little faster. Of course, it was a little slower to get out the door, and sometimes you have to tie the thing a time or two before it's ready.Yesterday the trai

FEB 04

"Revive NYSUT" Is Really "Rebury NYSUT"
The more I look at the controversy in our state union, the more I think its intent is to push it back into nothingness. The moment NYSUT leadership begins to take sensible stands, they are opposed. And by whom? By the leadership of the United Federation of Teachers. I often use UFT and UFT leadership interchangeably, but I'm going to have to be more careful about that going forward.UFT is me, and

FEB 03

A Time and Place for Snow
As you may have noticed, it's snowing outside. Schools where I live are closed, and schools outside the city are closed. But NYC had a Chancellor's Conference Day, and perish forbid anyone should lose one precious moment of PD. This notwithstanding, the roads were in much better shape today than during our last snowstorm. Traffic was moving slowly, but moving.On the home front, I got some kind of

FEB 02

Governor Andy and the Unions
Last month at the Delegate Assembly, Jamaica HS chapter leader James Eterno introduced a resolution to withhold support from NY Governor Andrew Cuomo in his bid for a second term. This makes a lot of sense to me. After all, Governor Cuomo ran for his first term on a platform of taking on the unions. I'm a lifelong Democrat, and he was the first Democrat for whom I declined to vote. With Democrats

FEB 01

Why You Ought Not to Have Sex With Neanderthals (Or Vote for Them)
It turns out that Neanderthal genes carry risk for certain diseases you probably don't want to have. So you'd be well-advised not even to date Neanderthals, let alone sleep with them. After all, you probably don't want your kids to suffer from disease, let alone the stigma of being part of an extinct species. You know how cruel children can be in the schoolyard.I'd also go so far as to suggest not