Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Not Everyone Is Able to Tweet and Post Who They Really Are | Connected Principals

Not Everyone Is Able to Tweet and Post Who They Really Are | Connected Principals:



Not Everyone Is Able to Tweet and Post Who They Really Are




There is often much discussion around the separation of our professional and personal lives on social media.  Some districts strongly encourage this separation while others encourage the blending of both.  I have been a supporter of the latter as I believe that if we share who we are online we develop better relationships with others.  In December, I tweeted the following:



What I did not realize when I tweeted that, was that my view on the subject was coming from a lens of privilege – the lens of a middle class, white, heterosexual male.  Where I fell short in my tweet was that I failed to empathize with those whose lives are considered less acceptable to some.
When Royan brought this side to my attention… I stopped and thought about deleting the tweet, but then realized this is all part of the learning.  It was not my intention to be ignorant but by wearing my invisible napsack of privilege… I felt I