Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, February 27, 2014

It’s a Trust Thing – redqueeninla

It’s a Trust Thing – redqueeninla:



It’s a Trust Thing

Written by redqueeninla in LAUSD







My first Earful Of Schoolboard Member involved mapping ‘three critical things’ about education (at 9:21), the middle of which was that:  “…we have a sacred bond of trust that is enacted every day at the schoolhouse gate…
And I think this is very much true.  When I pass along my child, I trust that s/he will be safe physically, and I trust that his/er mandate to learn will be safely protected as well.
The whole ipad debacle has shattered this myth.
These ipads have been sold to us as a matter of “civil rights”:  that youngsters of impoverished circumstances must retain the same access to technology as their privileged counterparts, otherwise their civil rights will have been violated.  That these devices are a critical pedagogical tool, without access to which constitutes a violation of civil rights.
But it isn’t true.  The term civil rights is being coopted as an icon to obscure