Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

2-12-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:








The Best Resources On “One-To-One” Laptop/Tablet Programs — Please Suggest More!
I’ll soon be covering a question in my Education Week Teacher column about one-to-one laptop/tablet programs, and thought it would be useful to readers (and to me!) to create a “Best” lists on the topic. This list will be fairly limited at the beginning, but I’m confident readers, particularly teachers who are actually doing a one-to-one program, will contribute great stuff in the comments. I’ll
Three Good Tweets On Grading & Assessment
Here are three good tweets I’m adding to The Best Resources On Grading Practices: Nice summary of grading shifts, lifted from Genessee's webinar playing now. #sblchat pic.twitter.com/Jalfu5Umjt — Craig Kesselheim (@ckesselheim) February 11, 2014 RT @TheJLV: Students at Hudson have a three part grading system. In thirds: self, teachers, peers. They were pretty accurate across. #educon — Larry Fer
“How Can We Develop Life-Long Readers?”
How Can We Develop Life-Long Readers? is the latest “question-of-the-week” at my Education Week Teacher column. Responses are welcome here or there…

More Valentine’s Day Resources
Here are some new additions to The Best Sites To Learn About Valentine’s Day: Valentine’s Day – Hitting The Sweet Spots is from the ASIDE blog. Last Minute Love Lessons is from Online TEFL Training. Valentine’s Day – Resources for class is from David’s ESOL Blog.
“Why Do Teachers Leave High-Poverty Schools?” Is My Latest Nine-Minute Podcast
Why Do Teachers Leave High-Poverty Schools? is my latest nine-minute BAM! podcast, and it a pretty interesting one. I interview teachers Paul Bruno and Angel L. Cintron Jr. Note that, for some reason, BAM! placed it second-from-the-top instead of at the top just now. However, I just emailed them about the mistake so, by the time you read this they might have already moved it to the top of the pag

YESTERDAY

Tuesday’s Updated Sochi Resources
Here are the latest additions to The Best Sites For Learning About The Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games: Teaching the Sochi Olympics | History, Geography and Social Studies is from The New York Times Learning Network. What it’s like to just miss an Olympic medal is a neat interactive from The New York Times. 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, Part I is a photo gallery from The Atlantic. What Do the Olymp
From The Archives: “How to give classrooms a mission”
I’ve recently re-started an effort I’ve tried to do previously by regularly highlighting previous posts and articles I’ve shared in previous years that I think might be worth a second look. Today, I’d like to highlight a piece I wrote for The Washington Post a few years ago titled How to give classrooms a mission. Here’s an excerpt:
I’m Not Sure You’ll Find A Better Video Illustrating The Importance Of Libraries Than “El Bibliotecario”
The Librarian / El Bibliotecario from Facebook Stories on Vimeo.
Video: “Bill Nye – The Joy of Discovery”
This video came from Melody Sheep, and is excerpt from Bill Nye’s debate this past week with creationists:




2-11-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: I Began This Blog Seven Years Ago: Here Are My All-Time Most Popular PostsWow! Seven years ago, I began writing this blog. Nearly fourteen thousand posts, twelve hundred “The Best…” lists, five million visitors, and six books later, I’m still at it….I hope I’ve got at least another seven years of writing in me…. It’s been q