Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Journalist & Parent: Common Core Math Leaves Me Stumped | Truth in American Education

Journalist & Parent: Common Core Math Leaves Me Stumped | Truth in American Education:

Journalist & Parent: Common Core Math Leaves Me Stumped

Filed in Common Core State Standards by  on January 7, 2014 • 0 Comments
lattice-method
Instead of stacking when multiplying students are taught to use methods such as the lattice method see above.
Yesterday I read an op/ed by Jonathan Ellis, a political reporter for the Sioux Falls Argus Leader, expressing concern about the Common Core State Standards because of the way his daughter was being taught math.  Here are a couple of excerpts:
There will be a great battle in the Legislature this session that I’ll be paying careful attention to. It involves the fact that I no longer can perform fourth-grade math.
Earlier this year, my daughter needed help with her math homework. I read the problem. Reread the problem. And reread the problem.
The words were in English, sure enough. But they might as well have been in Swahili.
Welcome to the Common Core State Standards…
Later on he writes…
…Common Core emphasizes critical-thinking skills and problem solving over memorization and other traditional aspects of education. I memorized the multiplication table in grade school, and I’m uneasy that my daughter is not doing the same.
From what I could gather of her homework assignment, she was supposed to solve the