Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, January 5, 2014

I wonder if Secretary Duncan heard our students’ stories? | Ward 8 DC Teacher

I wonder if Secretary Duncan heard our students’ stories? | Ward 8 DC Teacher:

I wonder if Secretary Duncan heard our students’ stories?

Last spring, Secretary of Education Arne Duncan visited my school. Following the unfortunate tragedy that occurred at Sandy Hook, the purpose of his visit was to meet with students, and staff, to discuss school and gun violence. The video below (4:23 minutes) is a condensed version of the hour-long discussion. The full video (51:36 minutes) is here.
Although I’ll give Secretary Duncan credit for visiting my school, in a tough DC ward, I’m still wondering whether he actually listened to the students in the video?
I wonder if he walked away with any valuable insight?
I wonder if some of