Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

An Urban Teacher's Education: I Don't Have Enough Time to Be a Good Teacher

An Urban Teacher's Education: I Don't Have Enough Time to Be a Good Teacher:

I Don't Have Enough Time to Be a Good Teacher



When I got into teaching, I was bewildered by all of the things supposedly good teachers did in their classrooms.

From professors and mentor teachers and administrators, I learned at least three new things that good teachers did every day for a long time.

A few examples:

- Good teachers keep records of phone calls home
- Good teachers greet students at the door and know at least one personal fact about each of their students
- Good teachers base their instruction on assessment
- Good teachers collaborate
- Good teachers stay after school to work with struggling students
- Good teachers differentiate their classes heterogeneously and homogeneously depending on the lesson
- Good teachers have excellent transitions
- Good teachers engage all of their students

The list of things good teachers supposedly do is endless. When I started teaching (the type A personality that I am), I was eager to work toward doing all of the things on that list. For years, I