Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, January 9, 2014

1-9-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:





Video You’ve Probably Seen Already: “Thank You, Mom — Pick Them Back Up”
You’ve probably already seem this commercial that I’m adding to The Best Sites For Learning About The Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games:
This Is Not Good: After Basically Forcing People To Join Google+, Now Everyone Else On It Can Send You An Email
Over the next few days: Google will soon allow people to send anyone an email, even if they do not have the person’s email address, as long as both people have a Gmail and Google Plus account. You can read more about it at the previous link (a NY Times article) and at this piece in Slate, Google Is About to Let Total Strangers Email You. Here’s How to Opt Out. Google says they’ll be sending an em
From The Archives: “Get Organized Around Assets”
I’ve recently re-started an effort I’ve tried to do previously by regularly highlighting previous posts and articles I’ve shared in previous years that I think might be worth a second look. Today, I’m highlighting an article I wrote for ASCD Educational Leadership a couple of years ago about teaching English Language Learners. It’s called Get Organized Around Assets. Here’s an excerpt:


Gates Foundation Makes Its Move In California — And It Looks Like Somebody Is Giving Them Good Advice
The Gates Foundation, for the first time in many years, is making a major move in California by funding substantial professional development efforts in two school districts and suggesting that they’ll making similar grants in the coming months. According to the post in Ed Source by John Fensterwald, Gates is giving several million to the Fresno and Long Beach districts to develop this professiona


This Week’s Round-Up Of Good Posts & Articles On Education Policy
Here are some recent useful posts on educational policy issues: A Bold New World: A Guide to the Local Control Funding Formula is from Ed Source, and is a “everything you want to know” guide to California’s new and, I hope, trendsetting law on school funding. LA Unified staff received free iPad before contract is from Southern California Public Radio. I’m adding it to A Very Beginning List Of The
January’s Best Tweets – Part Two
Every month I make a few short lists highlighting my choices of the best resources I through (and learned from) Twitter, but didn’t necessarily include them in posts here on my blog. I’ve already shared in earlier posts several new resources I found on Twitter — and where I gave credit to those from whom I learned about them. Those are not included again in this post. If you don’t use Twitter, yo

1-8-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: Starting Off The New Year With Even More Excellent Classroom AdviceA few days ago, I some excellent classroom advice from Marvin Marshall for the New Year. Here are a couple of more posts from him that are definitely worth reading: 3 Ways to Promote Responsibility 3 Practices that Enhance Learningby Larry Ferlazzo / 9h Pand